This was not a good season for the Cardinals. They finished in 5th place with a 72-82 record. Manager Fred Hutchinson was fired with 10 games left in the season. The Cardinals scored 619 runs and allowed 704.
Some of the better numbers came from Stan Musial and Ken Boyer.
- Stan hit .337 with 17 home runs
- Boyer contributed 90 RBI’s, 23 homers and a .307 average
- Joe Cunningham smacked 12 long balls and hit .312
- Pitcher Sam Jones was 14-13 with a 2.88 ERA
- Vinegar Bend Mizell was 10-14 and a 3.4 ERA
- Larry Jackson was even at 13-13 and a 3.08 ERA
Musial signs a contract for $100,000 and is highest paid player in NL history
On May 13, Musial pinch hits ad doubles off Cubs pitcher Moe Drabowsky.
Vinegar Bend Mizell, on September 1st, walks nine batters and wins 1-0.