- The Cardinals purchase Larry McLean from the Reds in 1913.
- More on Larry McLean: He played for the Cardinals in 1905 and again in 1913 despite his love of corn whiskey. He was the tallest catcher in history at 6’5″. He was released from baseball after he got in a brawl with his manager and the next day they cut him loose. He died at age 39 at a saloon in which he was disorderly and became physical to the management. The night before he chased the bartender out and this just added to the issues. As the argument continued he was shot dead on the scene. Newspaper clipping of his barroom brawl death
- Branch Rickey and the Cardinals buy a share of the Houston team in the Texas League to begin a plan for a farm system.
- The Cardinals announced in 1966 that Civic Center Busch Memorial Stadium, which replaced Sportsman’s Park, will be renamed Busch Stadium
- In 1996, Busch Stadium has the AstroTurf removed (been that way for 26 years) during this month and plan to replace it with infield grass.
- Dave Zearfoss 1868
- Howard Murphy 1882
- Ethan Allen 1904
- Royce Lint 1921
- Carl Scheib 1927
- Fernando Tatis 1975
- Tige Stone 1960. He played in one game in the major leagues and it was on August 23, 1923, for the Cardinals.
- Joe Lotz 1971. He was a right-handed pitcher for the Cardinals in 1916 and he was 0-3 lifetime from the mound.
- Danny Frisella 1977. He played in 18 games as a right-handed pitcher in 1976 for the Cardinals with no record. He had his career cut short when he was killed in a dune buggy accident on New Year’s Day in 1977.
- Carmen Hill 1990. He played 10 years in the major leagues (1929-1939) the last two with the Cardinals as a pitcher. He was in 7 games and finished 0-1 for them.
- Ernie Koy 2007. He played in 1940 and part of 1941 with the Cardinals. He was in 106 games and batted .299 with 2 home runs and 27 runs batted in.
Hall of Famers
- Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg born on this date in 1911 – he played for Detroit and Pittsburgh
- Hall of Famer Willie Keeler died on this date in 1923- he played for NY Giants, Baltimore, Brooklyn, and NY Highlanders