The Cardinals have four WOW (Walk-Off Wins) on this date and they were in 1984, 1990, 1994, and 2011.
1932– The Philadelphia Phillies purchased Eddie Delker from the St. Louis Cardinals.
1932– The St. Louis Cardinals purchased Jimmie Reese from St Paul (American Association).
1940- The Cardinals lose 10-1 in the first night game to be played in St. Louis as Medwick is 5-for-5 at the plate
1956– The St. Louis Cardinals signed Jim Konstanty as a free agent.
1956– The Boston Red Sox purchased Max Surkont from the St. Louis Cardinals.
1959- Bob Gibson pitched the FIRST complete game of his career. He defeated the Chicago Cubs 1-0 with 9IP/8H/0ER/3BB/2K
1975– The St. Louis Cardinals traded Ed Brinkman and Tommy Moore to the Texas Rangers for Willie Davis.
2005- The St. Louis Cardinals traded Javier Cardona to the Cleveland Indians for John Rodriguez.
Gibson’s Complete Games
- 1959- Bob Gibson pitched the FIRST complete game of his career when he defeated the Chicago Cubs 1-0 with 9IP/8H/0ER/3BB/2K
- 1964- A complete game loss comes at the hands of the Cubs with a 2-1 Cardinals loss as he pitches CG #47 with 8IP/6H/2ER/1BB/5K
- In 1965, Gibson is on a string of complete game losses and this one is the 3rd of 4 in a row. Houston defeats him by the score of 5-2 on 9IP/5H/5ER4BB/6K.
- Gibson finishes complete game #144 with a win in 1969 over Atlanta. In the 4-3 win, he has 9IP/7H/3ER/2BB/5K.
- In 1972, it is complete game #212 that Gibby notches with a 4-0 shutout of the Los Angeles Dodgers in 9IP/5H/0ER/1BB/6K.
2012 Amateur Draft
The Cardinals drafted Stephen Piscotty in the 1st round (36th pick) of the 2012 amateur draft.
The Cardinals drafted Michael Wacha in the 1st round (19th pick) of the 2012 amateur draft.
Tracking Musial’s Home Runs
- In 1951, he smacked two homers (#186 and #186) with both off of Larry Jackson they were in the 4th and 5th innings with a solo and a 2-run home run.
- In 1954, he also hit two home runs ( #273 and #274) with the first facing Robin Roberts. The Cardinals were ahead 1-0 in the bottom of the 3rd for a 3-run homer and the other was a solo homer in the bottom of the 8th inning off Jim Konstanty from the Phillies.
- In 1957, Musial got #362 in Pittsburgh with Bob Smith on the mound. It was a 2-run home run in the top of the 4th inning with the Cardinals trailing 3-0.
- Home Run #391 was in the bottom of the 4th inning with the Cardinals leading 2-0 and it was a solo homer facing Ron Kline of the Pirates.
Lee Magee (June 4, 1889 – March 14, 1966) made his major league debut on July 4, 1911, and was with the Cardinals through the 1914 season. He was the first major league player (on record) to get five straight hits. In his career, he hit .276 and 12 home runs with 277 runs batted in.
George Watkins (June 4, 1900 – June 1, 1970) made his major league debut with the Cardinals on April 15, 1930, and played with them until the end of the 1933 season. He holds the record for the highest batting average for a rookie season at .373.
Terry Kennedy (1956) was a catcher for the Cardinals from 1978-1980. In a 14-year Major League career, he hit .264 with 113 home runs and 628 RBI in 1491 games. He appeared in 4-All-Star games (1981, 1983, 1985, and 1987).
Rick Wilkins (1967) was a catcher that played one season (2000) with the Cardinals. He finished his career with a .244 average and 81 home runs and 275 runs batted in.
J.C. Romero (1976) pitched for the Cardinals for one season in 2012 and was 0-0 in 11 games with a 10.13 ERA. His career mark was much better with a 34-28 record and a 4.16 ERA in 14 major league seasons.
- Cliff Heathcote 1918
- Kevin Hagen 1983
- Randy Hunt 1985
- Dan Griner 1950
- Tony Kaufmann 1982
- Pedro Borbon 2012