Chattanooga (Southern Association) purchased Roy Golden from the Cardinals in 1913.
May 1, 1914, TRIPLE PLAY– St Louis batting with bases loaded (Walton Cruise, Lee Magee, Dots Miller) in the 2nd inning against the Cubs. Frank Snyder is batting and hits a fly ball to center. From there it is 8-5-6-2 TP. That is #77 since 1900.
The Cardinals purchased Marty Kavanagh in 1918 from the Cleveland Indians
The Cardinals traded Emil Verban in 1946 to the Philadelphia Phillies for Clyde Kluttz.
In 1956, the Cardinals traded Paul LaPalme to the Cincinnati Redlegs for Milt Smith
The Cardinals signed Lee Guetterman as a free agent in 1993.
JD Drew sets what was a team record at the time by scoring five runs in one game in a 16-5 win over the Expos in 1999,
The Expos sent Mario Encarnacion to the Cardinals as part of a conditional deal in 2003.
TOMMY JOHN SURGERY- Scott McGregor has Tommy John surgery in 2011.
Tracking Musial Home Runs
On this date in 1942, Stan hit his FOURTH CAREER HOME RUN. It was off Manny Salvo in the 3rd inning and then hit his FIFTH CAREER HOME RUN when he tied the game in the bottom of the 9th inning facing Dick Erickson.
Also, in 1951, he hit #175 off Johnny Sain with the Cardinals ahead 3-1 in the top of the 6th inning. The homer was a 2-run shot.
WALK-OFF WINNERS for May 1st
1979- Behind 6-3 in the 11th and the Astros have Joe Sambito on the mound.
- Tony Scott walks
- Ken Reitz strikes out
- Ken Oberkfell walks
- Steve Swisher walks
- Garry Templeton strikes out
- Roger Freed pinch hits for Jerry Mumphrey and hits a GRAND SLAM home run and Cardinals win 7-6 in 11 innings.
Astros 6, Cardinals 7
1987– Bottom of the 10th, Cardinals Batting, Tied 4-4, Dodgers’ Matt Young facing 3-4-5
- Terry Pendleton strikes out
- Jack Clark double to LF
- Willie McGee Intentional Walk
- Tito Landrum pinch hits for John Morris (RF) batting 6th- strikes out
- Steve Lake single to LF Clark Scores; McGee to 2B
Dodgers 4, Cardinals 5.
2003- Bottom of the 10th, Cardinals Batting, Tied 5-5, Mets’ Scott Strickland facing 3-4-5
- Albert Pujols Groundout: SS-1B
- Jim Edmonds Home Run (Fly Ball) over the left field wall on a 1-2 down-and-away pitch
Mets 5, Cardinals 6
2015- Bottom of the 10th, Cardinals Batting, Tied 1-1, Pirates’ Rob Scahill facing 8-9-1
- Kolten Wong Groundout: SS-1B
- Peter Bourjos pinch hits for Randy Choate (P) batting 9th
- Peter Bourjos Groundout: 3B-1B
- Jon Jay Single to LF
- Matt Carpenter Double to RF, Jay to 3B
- Holliday Intentional Walk
- Matt Adams Single to LF GAME OVER
Pirates 1, Cardinals 2
2018- bottom of the 9th, Cardinals Batting, Behind 1-2, White Sox’ Joakim Soria facing 2-3-4
- Matt Carpenter Home Run (Fly Ball to Deep CF-RF)
- Jose Martinez Strikeout Swinging
- Marcell Ozuna Double to RF (Line Drive to Deep RF)
- Yadier Molina Single to LF (Line Drive to Deep LF); Ozuna Scores
White Sox 2, Cardinals 3
- Bill Kelly (May 1, 1886- June 30, 1940) made his debut on May 2. 1910 with the Cardinals. He played in two games and got no hits in three at-bats.
- Maikel Cleto played for the Cardinals in 2011-2013 and appeared in 40 games. In those three seasons, he only pitched 15 innings and allowed 27 hits.
These are major league debuts wearing a Cardinals uniform:
- Wally Roettger 1927
- Nate Andrews 1937
- Red Munger 1943
- Frank Wooldridge 1955
Former Cardinals that died on this date:
- Hi Myers 1965
- Bobby Mitchell 1933
- Ed Conwell 1926