Box Score History May 24, 1993
With the game tied in the bottom of the 10th inning in Montreal, Rheal Cormier came in to pitch to the dangerous Larry Walker and he weakly grounded out. In the top of the 11th, Lankford doubles, Whiten singles, and Zeile flies out. Luis Alicea hit a triple to right field to score 2 runs. With two out catcher Erik Pappas doubles for the third run and a 4-1 lead. Lee Smith shuts the door in the bottom half for the win. Cardinals starter Rene Arocha had 7.2IP/5H/1ER/1BB/5K while Cormier got the win facing one batter.
- Ike McAuley is selected off waivers from the Pirates in 1917.
- Johnny Vergez was purchased in 1936 by the Cardinals from the Philadelphia Phillies.
- The Cardinals get Randy Moore from the Brooklyn Dodgers in exchange for Paul Chervinko in 1937.
- 1964- An oddity in baseball occurs as seven major league teams are shutout. They were Pirates, Cardinals, Phillies, White Sox, Twins, and Mets.
- A trade is made, in 1977, as the Cardinals traded away Eddie Solomon for Mike Beard from the Atlanta Braves.
- A major league record is set at Busch Stadium when the Cardinals strand 16 men on base and don’t score in 1994.
- Adam Wainwright swings on the first pitch he sees as a batter, in 2006, in the major leagues and smacks a home run to aid in a 10-4 win.
- In 2010, the Cardinals receive Andrew Brown from the Washington Nationals as part of a conditional deal.
MUSIAL’S HOME RUN HISTORY
475 Career Home Runs
Four home runs were hit on this date in Stan’s career. In 1948, he hit his 7th of the season and 78th of his career in Philadelphia. He was facing Monk Dubiel in the top of the 7th inning with the Cardinals behind 3-0 when he smacked a 2-run homer.
May 24, 1949, he smashed his 115th career home run and 5th of the season. It was off Johnny Antonelli in the bottom of the 5th inning for a solo home run.
He did it again in 1951 with a 3-run homer in the bottom of the 4th inning against Cincinnati. The Cardinals were ahead 3-0 and Musial faced Herm Wehmeier in the bottom of the 4th for his 5th of the year and 179th of his career.
Another was hit on May 24, 1963, for his 470th home run and 7th of the season. The New York Mets had Roger Craig on the mound as the Cardinals were behind 3-0 when he hit a solo home run in the bottom of the 2nd inning.
Gibson’s Complete Games
On May 24, 1967, Bob Gibson pitched a complete game but got the loss (he got 44 CG losses in his career) as the Braves beat him 2-0. The Cardinal offense managed only 3 hits in the game.
Statline for Gibby: 8IP/3H/2ER/3BB/2K he faced 30 batters in 2 hrs and 1 minute
Hi Jasper (May 24, 1886 – May 22, 1937) In 1916, Jasper spent the season with the St. Louis Cardinals. In 21 games, he had a 5-6 record and a 3.28 ERA.
Jack Berly (May 24, 1903 – June 26, 1977) played the last season of his career (1924) with the Cardinals and appeared in four games as a pitcher and had no record along with a 5.63 ERA.
Brad Penny (1978) signed with the Cardinals on a one-year contract on December 10, 2009. He hit a grand slam home run on May 21, 2010.
- Jack Roche 1914
- Johnny Echols 1939
- Tony Cruz 2011
- Bill Goodenough 1905
- Charlie Frank 1922
- Don Richmond 1981