- Fred Hutchinson replaces Harry Walker as the Cardinal manager in 1955. With the departure of ‘the Hat’, the National League for the first time in its history will not have a player-manager in the circuit.
- One year after playing Class-A ball, Albert Pujols (.329, 37, 130), in 2001, is named the National League Rookie of the Year by the BBWAA. The Cardinal freshman set NL rookie marks for RBIs (130), total bases (360) and extra-base hits (88) and falls one home run shy of tying the National League rookie record of 38 established by Frank Robinson in 1956 as a member of the Reds.
- Frank “Trader” Lane resigns his post as Cardinals General Manager and is replaced by Bing Devine in 1957.
Cardinals Born on this Date
- Gene Lillard was born on this date in 1913 and played for the Cardinals in 1940 only where he pitched 2 innings. He was 0-1 with a 13.50 ERA along with allowing 8 hits, 7 runs, 4 walks and fanned two in 4.2 innings pitched.
- Joe Hoerner was born in 1936 and made his debut on Sept. 27, 1963. He played for 14 seasons and was with the Cardinals from 1966-1969. In those four years, he was 19-10 with 59 saves and sported a 2.10 ERA with 190 strikeouts and 62 walks.
- Ron Bryant was born in 1947. He played eight major league seasons with only 1 year (1975) as a Cardinal player. In that year he pitched 8.2 innings and allowed 20 hits, 17 runs, 7 walks, 7 strikeouts and had an ERA at 16.62. He was third in the CY Young voting in 1973 with the Giants.
Mike Leake (1987) signed with the Cardinals with a 4-yr contract and now is elsewhere.
Transactions on this Date
- Bob Forsch of the St. Louis Cardinals granted free agency.
- Clint Hurdle of the St. Louis Cardinals granted free agency.
- Doug Bair of the St. Louis Cardinals granted free agency.
- Cesar Cedeno of the St. Louis Cardinals granted free agency.
- Ivan de Jesus of the St. Louis Cardinals granted free agency.
- Matt Keough of the St. Louis Cardinals granted free agency.
- St. Louis Cardinals released Ray Stephens
- The St. Louis Cardinals signed Larry Luebbers as a free agent
- Jack Ryan 1868
- Gene Lillard 1913
- Joe Hoerner 1936
- Ron Bryant 1947
- Mike Leake 1987
Joe Quinn 1940
Johnny Echols 1972