2006 At the new Busch Stadium, the Cardinals beat the heavily favored Tigers, 4-2, in Game 5 of the Fall Classic to win their first world championship since 1982. With an 83-78 record, St. Louis, who lost 10 of their last 14 regular season games, won less games than any World Series champion in baseball history.
In 2013, the Red Sox win the first World Series game to ever end on a pickoff, beating the Cardinals, 4-2, in Game 4 of the Fall Classic. Kolten Wong, a 23 year-old rookie pinch-running for Allen Craig, is caught off first base by Boston closer Koji Uehara.
Trades and Transactions
- In 1965, the Cardinals traded Dick Groat, Bob Uecker, and Bill White to the Philadelphia Phillies for Pat Corrales, Alex Johnson and Art Mahaffey.
- The Cardinals signed Jose Cruz as an amateur free agent in 1966.
- The Oakland Athletics, in 1972, trade Gene Dusan and Joe Lindsey to the Cardinals for Dal Maxvill.
- The Cardinals released Jerry McNertney in 1972.
- In 1978, the Cardinals trade Mike Potter to the Seattle Mariners for Jose Baez.
- Frank DiPino , Andres Galarraga, Rich Gedman, Pedro Guerrero. Bob McClure, and Milt Thompson were all granted free agency in 1992.
- Shad Berry 1887
- Don Richmond 1919
- Del Rice 1927
- Pete Vukovich 1952
- Tom Nieto 1960
- Kelvin Jimenez 1980
- Ruben Tejada -1989
- John Brock 1951
- Clark Griffith (HOF’er) 1955
- Carlisle Littlejohn 1977
- Eddie Erautt 2013