- The Cardinals and Brooklyn play 18 innings in 1902 and the game is called because of darkness with the score 7-7. Clarence “Cupid’ Currie pitched 16 innings in relief for St. Louis.
- In Cincinnati, the Cardinals beat the Reds, 8-6, in nine innings at Crosley Field in 1937.The final out of the two-and-a-half-hour contest is recorded at 12:02 a.m., making it the first time a major league game has been completed after midnight. BOXSCORE
- August Busch fires GM Bing Devine in 1964 and appoints Bob Howsam to replace him.
- In 2005, St. Louis announces the franchise has broken its single-season attendance record of 3.43 million set in 1989.
August 17 in Cardinals History- Birthdays
- Bill Keisler 1871
- Bill Pertica 1898
- Larry Ciaffone 1924
- Diego Segui 1937
- Mike Maroth 1977
- Tyler Greene 1983
August 17 in Cardinals History- Debuts
- Dan Griner 1912
- George Scott 1920
August 17 in Cardinals History -Deaths
- Randy O’Connor 1950
- Doc Crandall 1951
- Forrest More 1968
- Fred Frankhouse 1989
Tracking Musial’s Home Runs
- In 1948, Stan hit #101 off of Johnny Schmitz of the Cubs.
- #202 came in 1951 facng the Reds and Herm Wehmeier on a solo shot in the top of the 9th in a tie game.
Bob Gibson’s Complete Games
none on this date