Cardinals History for December 3rd
1936 – The Brooklyn Dodgers “sell” Frenchy Bordagaray, Dutch Leonard, and Jimmy Jordan to the St. Louis Cardinals. The exchange is understood to be a continuation of the September 7th transaction which brought the Dodgers Tom Winsett and Eddie Morgan from the Cardinals’ Double-A farm team.
The Philadelphia Phillies purchased Heinie Mueller from the Cardinals in 1937.
The Cardinals, in 1937, purchased Al Smith from the New York Giants
The Pittsburgh Pirates purchased Stu Martin in 1940 from the Cardinals.
In 1952, the Cardinals purchased Harry Elliott and Grant Dunlap from Shreveport (Texas)
Cardinals traded Sal Yvars to the Detroit Tigers for Frank Carswell in 1954.
The Cardinals, in 1958, traded Ruben Amaro to the Philadelphia Phillies for Chuck Essegian
1968- The Cardinals traded Philip Knuckles (minors), Danny Breeden, Ron Davis and Ed Spiezio to the San Diego Padres for Dave Giusti AND the Cardinals traded Dick Schofield to the Boston Red Sox for Gary Waslewski
- The Cardinals traded Denny O’Toole to the Cleveland Indians for Jim Rittwage.
- The Cardinals drafted Doug Capilla from the San Francisco Giants in the 1973 rule 5 draft.
- The Cardinals traded John Wockenfuss to the Detroit Tigers for Lawrence Elliott
The Philadelphia Phillies sent Mike LaValliere to the Cardinals in 1984 as part of a conditional deal.
In 2007, Billy Southworth, who managed the Cardinals (1929, 1940-45) and the Braves (1946-51) is elected to the Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee. ‘Billy the Kid’ compiled a managerial record of 1,044-704 (.597), including four World Series appearances and two World Championships during his 13 years in the dugout.
The Cardinals signed Trever Miller as a free agent in 2008.
The Cardinals signed Alex Reyes in 2012 as an amateur free agent.
Cardinals History -Birthdays
- Jerry Johnson (1943) He was born in Miami and grew up in Odessa, Texas. He played for ten seasons. He as a Golden Glove boxer before baseball. He played for Cardinals in 1970 as a pitcher.
- Steve Huntz (1945)- He made his MLB debut in a Cardinals uniform on September 19, 1967 as an infielder and he appeared in 237 Major League games. His 131 hits included 19 doubles, one triple and 16 home runs.
- Wayne Garrett (1947) a third baseman, he made his MLB debut with the Mets in 1969 and played his last game with the Cardinals on Sept. 28,1978 and later played in Japan.
Cardinals History- Deaths
Mike Grady 1943
George Scott 1962
Herb Moford 2005