- The Cardinals are traveling by train in 1911 and manager Roger Bresnahan asks to have the team car moved to the back because of all the noise from the engine in the front. They are moved and shortly the train has a wreck and a few cars from the front go down an 18-ft cliff. The crash kills 14 people as the Cardinal players pitch in to help remove the bodies and rescue the injured. The exact car that they were on before the move is one of the worst in the crash. They board another train, however, the game is postponed.
- Bobby Wallace is signed as a free agent by the Cardinals in 1917.
- In 1950, Red Schoendienst gets the game-winning hit with a 14th inning home run in the All-Star game being played at Comiskey Park.
- The Chicago White Sox selected Ellis Kinder off waivers from the St. Louis Cardinals in 1956.
- The Cardinals in 1987 sign David Green as a free agent.
- Ozzie Smith breaks a fielding record when he handles four chances in a game in 1994 to move into the top spot for all-time most assists by a shortstop. The Wizard of Oz’ will end his 19-year career in 1996 with 8,375 assists.
- Brian Johnson is signed in 2000 as a free agent by the Cardinals.
- The Cardinals and Indians make a deal in 2002 with the Cardinals getting Nerio Rodriguez and Cleveland lands Neil Simoneaux.
- Cody McKay is released in 2005.
- The St. Louis Cardinals selected George Kottaras off waivers from the Cleveland Indians in 2014.
- Harry Wolter 1884
- Milt Stock 1893
- Dick Gray 1931
- Jackie Heidemann 1949
- Mark Little 1972
- Blaine Boyer 1981
- Bryan Augenstein 1986
- Frank Gilhooley 1959
- Chuck Stobbs 2008
Tracking Musial’s Home Runs
Stan hits career home run #237 in 1953 facing Max Surkont of Milwaukee.
Bob Gibson’s Complete Games
In 1971 Gibby get complete game #196 with a 7-3 win over Houston with 9IP/6H/3ER/2BB/7K.
WOW (Walk-Off Winners)
It is the bottom of the 11th inning against the Astros in 1998 and the Cardinals trail 3-2. Billy Wagner comes in to shut the door on the Cardinals and Royce Clayton leads off with a single. Ray Lankford comes to the plate and strikes out swinging. In steps Mark McGwire and he hits a towering high drive to left field line and….. it stays fair and the Cardinals win 4-3 and have a WOW!