Former Cardinals Owner Sam Breadon was born on this date in 1876.
- Cardinals purchased Clarence Currie from the Cincinnati Reds in 1902
- The Kansas City Athletics, in 1961, purchased Mickey McDermott from the Cardinals
- Cardinal catcher Ted Simmons hit a homer to lead off the fourth inning in San Diego. However, Padres manager John McNamara claimed that his bat was illegal. Home plate umpire Art Williams agreed with McNamara because there were grooves cut into the fat part of the bat, clearly above the 18” area from the handle. Williams ruled Simmons out and the bat was confiscated by crew chief Ed Vargo. The game was protested by the Cardinals, but they won 4-0. This was in 1975. BOXSCORE
- The Cardinals purchased Wayne Garrett in 1978 from the Montreal Expos.
- In 2017, the Cardinals trade pitcher Marco Gonzales to the Mariners in exchange for outfielder Tyler O’Neill.
- Hush Hill 1879
- Moe Drabowsky 1939
- Gary Waslewski 1941
- Al Hrabosky 1949
- Lance Painter 1967
- Luis Saturria 1976
Eric Rasmussen 1975- he pitched a complete-game shutout in his debut with 9IP/7H/0ER1BB/7K BOXSCORE
Stephen Piscotty 2015- he fanned in his first at-bat but was 1-for-4 in the game. BOXSCORE
- Bill Gleason 1932
- Harry McCurdy 1972
- Walt Moryn 1996
Tracking Musial’s Home Runs
Career home run #45 was hit in 1946 facing Johnny Niggeling with a 2-run homer in the 3rd inning.
In 1950, he hit #158 off of Sal Maglie to tie the game in the 7th inning with a solo.
Sal Maglie also gave up #239 in 1953 as Stan hit a 2-run homer in the first inning.
Ken Lehman surrendered a 2-run homer which was career homer #343 in the 8th inning.
Bob Gibson’s Complete Games
In 1963, he pitched complete game #33 of his career on a 9-4 win over Houston with 9IP/8H/4ER/6BB/7K.
He shutout the Mets 2-0 in 1968 for complete game #123 with 9IP/7H/0ER/0BB/13K.
In 1972, he tossed CG #219 with a 2-1 win over the Braves as he pitched went 9IP/7H/1ER/3BB/5K.
#238 was in 1973 with 9IP/5H/0ER/1BB/7K on the way to a 13-1 win over the Mets.
Walk-Off Winners (WOW)
1996- The game was tied 5-5 in the bottom of the 10th and the Cubs had Turk Wendell on the mound. He struck out Mark Sweeney to begin the inning and now faced catcher Tom Pagnozzi. “Pags” hit a deep shot to left-center for a home run and a Walk-Off Winner. WOW. BOXSCORE
2016- Carlos Villaneuva enters for the Padres in the bottom of the 9th inning with the game tied 5-5. Tommy Pham doubles and Greg Garcia is intentionally walked. Jeremy Hazelbaker hits a sac bunt to move the runners to second and third. Jedd Gyorko is intentionally passed to load the bases for a force-out at home plate. Aledmys Diaz spoils that with a single and the Cardinals are Walk-Off Winners. WOW! BOXSCORE