Transactions on This Date
2013– The St. Louis Cardinals traded David Freese and Fernando Salas to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for Peter Bourjos and Randal Grichuk.
1932– Charley Gelbert shatters his leg in a hunting accident. The Cardinals’ shortstop will return as a part-time infielder in 1935, playing until 1940.
1946– Stan Musial cleans up in winning the post-season awards as he is selected the National League MVP and Player of the Year by The Sporting News.
- Jack Roche 1890 – had a .28 lifetime batting average and was a catcher who played for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1914, 1915, and 1917.
- Lew Burdette 1926 -An outstanding control pitcher, his career average of 1.84 walks per nine innings pitched places him behind only Robin Roberts (1.73), Greg Maddux (1.80), Carl Hubbell, (1.82) and Juan Marichal (1.82) among pitchers with at least 3,000 innings since 1920.In 1963 Burdette was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals (1963–64), and was later sent to the Chicago Cubs (1964–65) and Phillies (1965) Career 203 wins.
- Neal Hertweck 1931 –a first baseman who appeared in two Major League games for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1952.
- Lee Guettermann 1958 -he signed with the St. Louis Cardinals on May 1. Assigned to the Triple-A Louisville Redbirds of the American Association, he had a 2–1 record, two saves, a 2.94 ERA, 20 strikeouts, 12 walks, and 35 hits allowed in 33+2⁄3 innings pitched. In late June, he was promoted to the major leagues by the Cardinals, debuting with St. Louis on June 30 and pitching for the major league club the rest of the year. With the Cardinals leading the Colorado Rockies 5–4 in the 11th inning on June 25, Guetterman entered in the bottom of the inning and gave up a hit and a walk to two of the first three batters he faced. However, he got Pedro Castellano to ground into a double play to end the game, earning him his sole save of the season in the victory. In 40 games for St. Louis, he had a 3–3 record, a 2.93 ERA, 19 strikeouts, 16 walks, and 41 hits allowed in 46 innings of work. After the season, he became a free agent.
- Adam Ottavino 1985 – made his MLB debut in a Cardinals uniform and it was on May 29, 2010.He made three starts and five appearances for St. Louis.
- Tom Underwood 2010