In Game 4 of the 1964 World Series, Ken Boyer’s sixth inning grand slam off Yankee starter Al Downing gives the Cardinals a 4-3 victory over the Yankees. The St. Louis third baseman is the second National Leaguer to hit a postseason bases-loaded round-tripper.
The Cardinals trade outfielder/first baseman Bobby Tolan and right-hander Wayne Granger to the Reds for Vada Pinson in 1968.
Trades and Transactions
- In 1960, the Cardinals released Rocky Bridges.
- The Cardinals traded Ellis Burton, Cal Browning, Leon Wagner and cash to Toronto (International) for Al Cicotte in 1960.
- The Cardinals purchased Ozzie Virgil in 1961 from the Kansas City Athletics.
- The Cardinals, in 1962, released Hal Smith.
- The Cardinals traded Tommy Smith (minors) and Johnny Edwards to the Houston Astros for Dave Adlesh and Dave Giusti in 1968.
- The Cardinals released Dan Quisenberry in 1989.
- The Cardinals released Ernie Camacho and Stan Clarke in 1990.
- Eddie Dyer 1899
- Joel Hunt 1905
- Gary Blaylock 1931
- Mike Fiore 1944
- Bob Stinson 1945
- Curt Ford 1960
- Larry Leubbers 1969
- Dmitri Young 1973
- Ty Wigginton 1973
- Sandy Burk 1934
- George Pierce 1935