1925 – Marv Goodwin, a former pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals who joined the Cincinnati Reds at the end of the season, is killed in a plane he is piloting. At age 34, Goodwin is the first active player to die from injuries sustained in an airplane crash. Goodwin was one of the original spitballers who was “grandfathered.”
1987 – With the help of a three-run home run by the unlikely Tom Lawless, the St. Louis Cardinals even the World Series with a 7 – 2 win over the Minnesota Twins in Game 4.
In 2004, the Cardinals advance to the World Series for the first time in 17 years. The Redbirds capture the National League pennant, beating Roger Clemens and the Astros in Game 7 of an exciting NLCS, 5-2.
In the first matchup of rookies to start Game 1 of the World Series, Anthony Reyes bests Justin Verlander, in 2006.as the visiting Cardinals beat the Tigers at Comerica Park, 7-2. The 25 year-old right-hander allows two runs and four hits, striking out five in eight innings of work
.2012 – The Giants force a Game 7 in the NLCS by beating the Cardinals, 6 – 1, behind the pitching of Ryan Vogelsong, who wins for the second time of the Series. The Giants jump on Chris Carpenter for five runs in the first two innings to quickly put the game away. Vogelsong strikes out a career-high nine batters, while Marco Scutaro is the offensive star with a two-run double in the 2nd inning.
Trades and Transactions
- The Cardinals traded Pete Mikkelsen to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Jim Ellis in 1968.
- The Pirates traded Frank Vanzin (minors) and Carl Taylor in 1969 to the Cardinals for Dave Giusti and Dave Ricketts.
- The Cardinals traded Jim Campbell to the Boston Red Sox in 1970 for Dick Schofield.
- 1981- the New York Yankees traded Willie McGee to the St. Louis Cardinals for Bob Sykes.
- The Cardinals signed Manny Aybar and Jose Jimenez as an amateur free agents in 1991.
- Finners Quinlan 1887
- Roy Corhan 1911
- Stan Portenheimer 1922
- Ron Davis 1941
- Khalil Greene 1979
- Troy Cate 1980
- Marv Goodwin 1925
- Elmer Rieger 1959
- Oscar Tuero 1960
- Vada Pinson 1995
- Jim Bucher 2004