Trades and Transactions
- Cardinals released Red Schoendienst in 1962
- Cardinals released Barney Schultz in 1966.
- In 1966, Cardinals released Bob Skinner.
- The Cardinals traded Dick Allen to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Ted Sizemore and Bob Stinson in 1979.
- The Cardinals, in 1989, released Rod Booker.
In 1942, behind the outstanding pitching of rookie Johnny Beazley, the Cardinals stun the baseball world by beating the Yankees, 2-1, to win the World Series in five games.
During the fifth inning of Game 4 of the NLDS against the Cardinals in 2011, a squirrel runs across home plate just as Phillies pitcher Roy Oswalt begins to deliver a pitch to Skip Schumaker. Umpire Ángel Hernández calls the pitch a ball, much to the chagrin of the right-hander and Philadelphia manager Charlie Manuel, who believe that “no pitch” should be called due to the distraction caused by the grey rodent, immortalized by the Redbirds fans as the “rally squirrel”.
- Bill Steele 1886
- Si Johnson 1906
- Howard Murphy 1926
- Al Burch 1926
- Reuben Ewing 1970